1. Depart from home @8am on Friday, August 8, 2008
2. NPR on the radio
3. Stray Cats
4. Lucinda Williams
5. Flogging Molly
6. Stop for gas; Bob Seger disc goes in
7. Michelle takes over driving @11:40
8. Snacking on Poore Bros. Salt and Vinegar Chips (in moderation to avoid ruining our tongues)
9. Black Crowes
10. Off the beaten path, unexpected sidetrip: New Melleray Abbey. Holy Beer Trips! I didn’t know there were Trappist monks in Iowa. The abbey was beautiful, but they don’t brew beer here–they make caskets.
11. Minor map malfunction
12. Cross Mississippi River into Wisconsin!
13. Remarkably, AC/DC is not rejected
14. We see our first sign of New Glarus: a road sign tells us we are 17 miles away (2:14pm).
15. Arrive at New Glarus Brewing Company! We take the audio tour, taste (Spotted Cow, Organic Revolution, Road Slush, Smoke on the Porter, Berliner Weisse) and purchase a few delicious beers
16. A quick Fat Squirrel in New Glarus
17. Enter Mt. Horeb and The Grumpy Troll at 4:30pm
18. Check into motel at 6:45pm
19. Ale Asylum for Sticky McDoogle Scotch Ale, Contorter Porter, Big Slick Oatmeal Stout and Happy Ending Belgian Abbey (7:24pm)
20. “Is that a Utilikilt? Not everyone can sport one.” (AA)
21. Maduro for some Bell’s libations (they had 18 Bell’s beers on tap)
22. At 9:51, Wilson sends first text message of his life. Why? Because beer is involved. Unfortunately, we were unable to connect with Flossmoor brewmaster, Matt Van Wyk. Or beerinator for that matter.
23. Olympics at the motel
24. Sleep overtakes.
25. Michelle to yoga class at 8:45am (We’re into Day 2: August 9)
26. Wilson to Riley’s. He dozes in the parking lot until they open at 10am.
27. Trunk laden with beer for home, time to pick up Michelle.
28. Lunch at the Great Dane
29. Board Shuttle Bus at 12 noon.
30. Get in line and wait.
31. The long snake slithers forth.
32. Tasting glass feels good in my hand.
33. Beer in my glass mouth feels better.
34. Lotsa great beers (more later…)
35. Meet Matt, Andrew, beerinator and beer princess
36. Shuttle back to Dane
37. Eat dinner at Casbah
38. Buy Kyle’s pint glasses (he has a great dane)
39. Last chat with beerinator and beer princess
40. Michael Phelps wins gold and I fall asleep shortly thereafter
41. With 473 miles under our belt, we point our car toward home at 9:05am (Day 3, Sunday the 10th)
42. Gogol Bordello
43. Buy cheese for gifts and personal enjoyment (and a little more beer)
44. Cross Mississippi back into Iowa
45. Old Crow Medicine Show
46. Stop for a quick beer at Bricktown Brewery in Dubuque (Willie’s Scottish Ale)
47. iPod set to “Z” playlist (miscellaneous cool stuff I burned for my Peace Corps cousin Suzannah in Niger
48. Gillian Welch/switch drivers and Wilson takes a nap
50. A few groceries in Des Moines so we can feed the youngsters (and my visiting mom) when we return.
51. Buy German Oompah discs for our upcoming Oktober-fiesta
52. Sample said music and get thirsty for German beer
53. Arrive home at 6:05pm
54. Open our Yippee! We Made It Home Safely Beer: New Glarus’ Uff-Da Bock
55. Dream of next year.